THE BATTLE AGAINST SELF AND SIN

22:20

I left the service that night with a decision to turn a new
leaf. I’ve already decided to give Chidinma a call as soon
as I got home, about ending whatever we had. That joy
when I thought of finally being liberated from the sex –
oriented relationship with Chidinma. “At last there is a
way out”, I thought loudly to myself.
First thing the next morning I decided against giving her a
call instead I paid her a visit, to tell her my decision.
Gosh! She was so beautiful to look upon. The real battle
began; how can I tell her I want to break up with her?
How will I cope seeing her sad in class or being with
other guys so as to close the gap I will leave? How will I
be able to cope without her succulent body?, how can I
resist those lips? These were the thoughts that kept going
on inside of me.
Then a thought came to mind, why end the relationship
after all the good things and time we have shared
together, why not put on an adjustment to the things we
used to do, why not set rules and standards to be strictly
adhered to. Wow! It sounds like a great idea. Infact it was
nice. “It will definitely work!” A voice from within said.
It was barly 2 weeks after that power packed
programme, I made a commitment, I have fallen back to
my vomit again.
My world was fallen, my life was tearing apart. Depressed
and having failed God and myself again, I thought of
ending my life since it was of no use as I got tired of
hoping on good and trying to change, only to get worst
by the day. That faithful day as I was set to drink the
portion that would hopefully take my life, I thought of
reading a passage from the Bible to myself just as the
executioners will do before firing a criminal.
On opening the Bible, there was a marked out passage in
Romans 6;14-18
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are
not under the law, but under grace.
15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the
law, but under grace? God forbid.
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves
servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey;
whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto
righteousness?
17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin,
but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine
which was delivered you.
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the
servants of righteousness.
Thank God I did go through the passage, then I realised I
made myself go through all I went through. I made
myself a servant to sin forsaking the counsel of God.
Then I realised I was always listening to myself and not
the knowledge of God’s word. With tears in my eyes I let
down the portion and the idea of taking my life and
decide to fight the real enemy; SIN and SELF.
Beloved, the battle against these S’s cannot be won if we
don’t die to our selfish desire as the good book says; for
he that is dead is freed from sin. Romans 6;7.
Dear, if you are in similar situation, if u are battling with
sin and self, you can only win this battle against these
foes by fervent prayers and studying God’s word where
you see that grace can see you through in life.
You can go through these scriptures to help you enforce
your victory in Christ over self and sin; 2 Cor 10; 3-5,
Psalm 119;9-11, Col 3:5 – 10, 1Cor 9;27, Rom 13;12 and
Prov 4;23.
Congrats! Because your Victory over self and sin is sure!
Written by
OKIKIE OGHENERO EMMANUEL
March, 2013.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Featured post

THE BATTLE AGAINST SELF AND SIN

I left the service that night with a decision to turn a new leaf. I’ve already decided to give Chidinma a call as soon as I got home...

Twitter